Marine Parade Battery
From Historical Hastings
At the east end of the parade opposite Powell’s library and in a commanding position overlooking The Stade, there was erected about the middle of the 18th century (one source gives the date of 1764), a Battery, which, in 1779, mounted eleven twelve-pounders. It was demolished in 1847, although Banks states the date as being 1842, with six twenty-four pound guns in situ around 1800 prior to being decommissioned in 1817.
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 6 Chap. 55
- ↑ Topography of Great Britain (George Alexander Cook 1829)
- ↑ Osborne's Visitor's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 3rd ed. Pg. 62 Google Books
- ↑ Reminiscences of Smugglers and Smuggling: John Banks (1873) Pg. 17 Google Books