Ladies Parlour is the name given to the semi grass-banked enclosure to the north-east of Hastings Castle
Some flint implements, bones and shells were found on the southern slope of this area during an archaeological survey by W. J. Lewis Abbott. These were described as containing an abundance of the diminutive forms known as "pigmy implements" - finely chipped pieces between 1-5 centimetres in length and of a characteristic triangular, crescent or rhomboidal form. Baines suggests that these flakes may have been created by a Mesolithic settlement of hunters in the area, being arrow, javelin and spear tips. It is possible that this was a settlement of some importance, the surrounding area being heavily wooded and densely populated during this period.
It would appear from some investigations carried out at Hastings Castle that the parlour served as an outer bailey for the castle with a drawbridge connecting the two over the artificially cut gulley.
References & Notes
- Hastings Survey of Times Past and Present (Anthony Belt F.L.S.) 1937 pg.31 ESCC Library
- Historic Hastings, J. Manwaring Baines pg. 1 ISBN: 0948869003 ISBN: 9780948869006 Amazon
- The Hastings Chronicle: Origins of Hastings – The Hastings Chronicle, accessdate: 22 November 2019
- Hastings Castle#Excavations