Ironlatch Avenue is named for a smuggler's haunt nearby. From 'Gleanings of the Past' : "..but of all the places for their meetings there was none equal to the Iron Latch Gate. This was near the Grove Farmhouse, and was handy to roads which intersected each other, coming from the country the one hand, and leading down to the sea shore the other. In addition there was a large hollow place close to the road side, and over-shadowed trees capable of concealing from five six hundred men..."
Planning for the road was submitted to the council in 1957, with the road being described as "a 60ft wide road through the land from Gillsmans Hill, linking up with Blackman Avenue, on the estate, with four closes, three on the west side and one on the east.
The development would be of detached properties in an open setting and aimed to maintain the existing amenities, such as trees, and they drew particular attention to the large open space adjoining the proposed streamside walk, which would form a space for relaxation and recreation."
Features on this wiki
References & Notes
- H&SLO 17/03/1877
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 20 July 1957 Pg. 0001