Between 1966 and 1967, an experiment was undertaken with hovercraft trips utilising an SRN-6 craft - Brittania - from the beach opposite Pelham Place. The attraction only lasted a year or so due to noise complaints from nearby residents, and a rather unfortunate breakdown which resulted in the passengers having to be evacuated on the lifeboat, following which the hovercraft did not return to service, although a generator from the craft did re-visit Hastings a number of years subsequently - being utilised on an ex-military tug, the Alacrity which frequently anchored off Hastings.
However, whilst the craft was in use, a successful planning application for a permanent terminal and landing pad to be constructed on the beach was lodged during 1955 in spite of the noise complaints..
References & Notes
- Frederick Crouch
- Graeme Benefits
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/66/00308