|Full name||Deluxe Leisure Centre|
|Former names||Hippodrome Theatre (1907-1912)|
Royal Cinema Deluxe (1912-1965)
Deluxe Bingo (1970-present)
|Capacity||Theatre - 1500|
|Opened||30 March 1899|
The Empire Theatre of Varieties opened on the 30th March 1899 on the site vacated by the Marine Hotel. Designed by Ernest Runtz, a well known Theatre designer and built using 1.25 million bricks by local builder Peter Jenkins.
The outside of the building was clad with ornate terracotta tiles and topped with two copper clad domes. It also featured a balcony at first floor level. The interior was elaborately decorated with Ivory coloured walls, gilding, satin and velvet upholstery and plush green carpet. The building could accommodate 1,500 persons.
The theatre was renamed the 'Hippodrome Theatre' in 1907. Just 5 years later in 1912 it was converted into a cinema and renamed again this time as the 'Royal Cinema Deluxe' , it would keep this name (dropping the 'Royal' at some point) until 1965 when the cinema closed and was converted into a Bingo hall. At this point the original interior remained untouched but in 1970 the buildings interior was completely gutted and a floor build where the Circle once was. Any trace of its original fittings was burnt or dumped. At the same time the entrance and ground floor facade were also destroyed and Orange chipboard constructed over the terracotta tiles and an plastic canopy installed.
The ground floor became an Amusement arcade.
In 1978 further changes took place with the addition of snooker/pool halls and a restaurant.
Name changes by date
||Number of Seats|
|Empire Theatre of Varieties
|(Royal) Cinema Deluxe
|Deluxe Snooker and Bingo
References & Notes
- ↑ a b Leigh Kennedy Historical Hastings (Facebook)