Originally constructed for Musgrave Brisco, upon the remarriage of Musgrave's widow to Charles Frewen, became the seat of Charles Hay Frewen, Esq., J.P., described as a commodious mansion, situated in a fine park. The house sat at the end of a long drive with the gatehouse situated on The Ridge. Most of the buildings have now been demolished, but it is believed parts survive as the holiday camp now on the site.
The estate was acquired by the senior Musgrave Brisco on his marriage to the heiress of Edward Dyne from Westfield, who in turn had married the heiress of the original owner - a William Fletcher.
The younger Musgrave rebuilt the hall around 1836 using Cumberland stone and it became his residence, he acquiring the nickname "The Squire of Coghurst". Upon his death, the hall remained in the hands of his wife (Frances) until her death when it passed into the hands of Musgrave's younger brother Wastel.
19th Century Tourism
Coghurst. A beautiful domain, one mile north-east of the cemetery.
The property was demolished at some point during the early 1950s, with the gatehouse remaining for a few years longer being demolished later in that decade.
In 1953, outline planning permission was granted for the usage of the estate as a holiday centre and country club.