Clive Vale Board School
Clive Vale Board School for infants (boys and girls) was opened on the south side of Githa Road on the 21st of June 1886, planning having commenced in the previous year with the construction being put out to tender. The land had been bought by Hastings School Board from William Harman, 1885. The opening ceremony for the school was presided over by the Rev. E. F. Cave-Browne-Cave. In a lengthy speech, the chairman reported that the population of Hastings had grown from 2,982 in 1801 to around 52,000 in 1885 with a corresponding need for growth in the educational provisions for the town. The new buildings were in red brick, containing up-to-date fixtures and all conveniences including slopes leading down to the playground - the site being deeply sloped. The buildings were designed by Messrs Elworthy and Son, architects, of St. Leonards.
In 1890 tenders were requested for construction of further school buildings in the road; these buildings being described as 'The Clive Vale School for girls and boys'
The new secondary Board School for boys and girls was opened in February 1892. The infants and secondary school were closed in 1957 and 1959 respectively. The senior school was divided into a junior mixed and senior mixed. From 1961 the site was leased to All Saints Primary School.
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 26 June 1886 Pg. 0003
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 25 April 1885 Pg. 0005
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_R_C_4_191
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 26 July 1890 Pg. 0004
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_E_SC_80
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep /GB179_R_C_4_238