Christ Church Blacklands Church House
The building was officially opened on the 28th March 1896 by The Right Reverend E.R Wilberforce, Lord Bishop of Chichester (grandson of William Wilberforce). The three storey building in Hughenden Road cost £1,780 to construct and contained a School room on the ground floor, Club rooms, Mens Smoking Rooms, Parish room and Reading Room on the first floor and a 3 bedroom Caretakers flat on the second floor.
The architects were Messrs Jeffery and Skiller of Havelock Road. In 1911 part of the building was converted into a cinema called the 'Blacklands Kinema' but this lasted for just 2 years before being converted back to its original use in 1913. The building was still in use by the church in the early 1960s but was converted into flats at some point and then the flats converted into one house in 2005.
References & Notes
- Leigh Kennedy