From Historical Hastings
The name of Bulverhythe possibly comes from the adjacent haven, called Bollifride (Cole gives a spelling of 'Bulwer Hythe') alternatively, Bulverhythe, or Bull’s-hide, takes its name from the circumstance of William the Conqueror granting to the ancestor of the Pelham family as much land as he could cover with a Bull’s hide: he very ingeniously cut the hide into throngs, by which means he secured to himself a considerable parcel of ground. This road was renumbered during 1898..
Features in Bulverhythe Road
References & Notes
- ↑ The Antiquities of Hastings and the Battlefield (Thomas Cole 1864) Pg. 28 Google Books - 1864 ESCC Library. A later edition is also available: ESCC Library - 1884
- ↑ Osborne's Visitor's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 3rd ed. Pg. 67 Google Books
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 8 October 1898 Pg. 0006