The name of Bulverhythe possibly comes from the adjacent haven, called Bollifride (Cole gives a spelling of 'Bulwer Hythe') alternatively, Bulverhythe, or Bull’s-hide, takes its name from the circumstance of William the Conqueror granting to the ancestor of the Pelham family as much land as he could cover with a Bull’s hide: he very ingeniously cut the hide into throngs, by which means he secured to himself a considerable parcel of ground. Ross writes in his guide 'Here was a haven called bollefride, where some writers claim the Conqueror landed'.
An iguanadon fossil was discovered in the sandstone cliff here, together with numerous smaller fossils.
Bulverhithe(sic), four miles from Hastings, the road westward through St. Leonards, was formerly a haven under the name of Bollifride; a pleasant ride, undisturbed by either or toll-gates.
- The Antiquities of Hastings and the Battlefield (Thomas Cole 1864) Pg. 28 Google Books - 1864 ESCC Library. A later edition is also available: ESCC Library - 1884
- Osborne's Visitor's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 3rd ed. Pg. 67 Google Books
- A Guide to Hastings & St Leonards (Thomas Ross 1835) pg.40 Google Books
- Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 269 Google Books
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 March 1869 pg. 4
Pages in category ‘Bulverhythe’
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total.
- Baines Index Book
- Bonaparte's Ditch
- Brett Volume 1: Chapter V - St Leonards 1831
- Brett Volume 1: Chapter VII - St Leonards 1832
- Brett Volume 1: Chapter X - Hastings 1833
- Brett Volume 3: Chapter XL - Hastings 1848
- Brett Volume 3: Chapter XXXIV - Hastings 1845
- Brett Volume 3: Chapter XXXV - St. Leonards 1846
- Bulverhythe Road
- Bulverhythe Train Depot
- Iron Working
- Kelly's Directory 1899
- Manuscript History of Hastings and St Leonards Vol 1
- Manuscript History of Hastings and St Leonards Vol 3
- P. P. Series
- Peter Jenkins (1840-1899)
- St Leonards in the 1860s
- Tin House
- Topography of Great Britain
- Bulverhythe Salts