Pulpit Gate (Town Wall)
No values specified.
|Pulpit Gate (Town Wall)|
|Address||All Saints Street|
This was the smallest of the three gates in the Town Wall and was a postern gate situated at the bottom of All Saints Street. A number of steps had to be descended to access the gate and, from the resemblance to the two-decker pulpits of the period became known as The Pulpit Gate. This gate was possibly rebuilt around 1380 and referred to subsequently also as the 'New Gate'
Any wheeled vehicle or person on horseback needing access to the Stonebeach would have to turn west down East Bourne Street to pass through the Bourne Gate. The name of Pulpit Gate is now preserved by means of being adopted by a house adjacent to the original gate's location.