William the Conqueror's Stone
This stone slab was known as or near a pool called ‘Old Woman’s Tap’ or ‘Tapshaw / Tapshore’. It was believed to have originally stood roughly at the bottom of Maze Hill and a spring / stream flowed over it (hence the name). There is some evidence that it was in the way of James Burton’s development, possibly near the site of the Royal Victoria Hotel on the seafront in Brett's Histories.
A Hastings Guide of 1794, cited by J. Manwaring Baines, states that the rock known as William the Conqueror's Table, overhung a pool known as 'Old Woman's Tap' - this pool being drained to construct the Royal Victoria Hotel. During construction work, it was moved by means of oxen to St Leonards Gardens. It was moved to near the entrance to the Pier around the 1960s, perhaps in 1965/6, when the Triodome was erected on the Pier to house the newly-made Hastings Embroidery. In 1987 it was moved back to St. Leonards seafront.
References & Notes
- ↑ a b Public Sculptures of Sussex Database: Object Details | Public Sculptures of Sussex Database, accessdate: 29 November 2019
- ↑ a b Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chap. 1
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 25 May 1940 Pg. 0005
- ↑ Historical Hastings Facebook - Mark Atter