No values specified.
Malmsbury House, 125 West Hill Road, standing in a prominent position overlooking , opened on 26 June 1882 by Alexandra Princess of Wales accompanied by the Prince of Wales, who donated 50 guineas to its funds after their visit.
The Convalescent Home for Poor Children was previously at 42 - 43 Western Road, St. Leonards, for 13 years.
The opening of the new Convalescent Home, of which they became Patrons, was the primary purpose of their visit. The mayor seized the opportunity of asking them to open and name Alexandra Park as well.
The House was the Sussex General branch of the National Childrens Home and catered for up to 38 children. The building had a tradition of child care going back to 1869 but the National Children’s Home came here in 1953 when the children and staff of the Malmesbury branch found a new home in these premises.
Malmesbury House was eventually demolished due to subsidence and the plot (opposite the entrance to St Vincents Road) remains empty, although there is outline planning applications current with the local council.
- Ian Shiner