Constructed in 1863 on land known as St Helens Estate, owned by Thomas Pope. The stone for the building was quarried on-site in a location known as 'The Dell' which appears on contemporaneous mapping. The building opened as a preparatory school for young men by Dr Thomas Reed in February of 1864 originally known as 'The College, Ore'.
The building changed name to Hurst Court in 1866, following which, Jesuits took over the building in 1884, operating a Jesuit College from the site for a few years. The building then reverted back to usage as a preparatory school until its closure in 1968. Mr Lloyd Griffith was headmaster in 1901, with Richard J. S. Curtis recorded as being a master at the school since 1917 and headmaster from 1933 to circa 1961, Mr. Curtis retiring in 1968.
During the second world war, the building saw temporary use as a military establishment; the school having been evacuated to Telford in Shropshire. The buildings were damaged by a V1 flying bomb in this period.
Hastings Youth Trust took over the building in January of 1970 operating a residential conference and training centre in the building.
The building was finally demolished in 2009 following a fire and re-developed as a restaurant; the Conqueror's Rest.
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 29 June 1901 Pg. 0002
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 1 May 1943 Pg. 0004
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_AMS6331_2