Hastings Cottage Improvement Society
The Hastings Cottage Improvement Society was founded by the local doctor William Greenhill (1814-1894) in an attempt to improve the accommodation of existing housing for artisans in the Old Town. The society bought rundown housing, and rebuilt houses to a higher standard for the occupants. The initials ‘HCIS’ were put on the frontage of new properties. By April 1860 the society owned about 100 Old Town properties with 110 tenants.