Fellowship of St. Nicholas
FSN was founded in 1939 for the purpose of looking after disadvantaged children, especially orphans. Over a period of 46 years, FSN opened 8 children’s homes, including one for boys at 33 Tower Road West and thousands of children passed through its doors. By the 1970’s, changes were taking place in children’s services, and by 1985, all of the homes were closed. However, faced with an increasing social need, FSN opened new residential hostels and developed their first community services. Between 1985 and 1999, FSN developed services such as play schemes, took over a local day nursery, started a Fun Bus and developed a local family support project.
In 1999, FSN sold its properties and moved to the St Nicholas Centre site where it stands today. Major building works took place to support plans for the delivery of services, including installing a lift, conversion of the basement and creating rooms to hire and office space to let. Since 1999, FSN has further developed the site which now includes a purpose built day nursery, a Children’s Centre offering health and family support services for children under the age of 5 and a multi-use games area.