Convent of the Holy Child Jesus
|Convent of the Holy Child Jesus|
The Convent of the Holy Child Jesus was a Catholic teaching convent located on a substantial plot of land on Magdalen Road.
The 15 acres of land was purchased in 1834 from the Eversfield Estate by the Reverend John Jones, who lived on Magdalen Road. The purchase was made using a legacy from Lady Barbara Stanley.
Rev Jones failed initially to find interest from Catholic organisations, until it was taken over by Cornelia Connelly, who, with the support of Catholic patrons and the architects William Wilkinson Wardell and Edward Welby Pugin, established the convent as the primary location for the Holy Child Order. The training college was completed in 1848, to the design of Mr Wardell, prior to his departure to Australia. The chapel was built in 1868 to the design of Augustus Pugin and his son, Edward Pugin.
In the 1960s, the site could not maintain business, and in 1976, it was sold to Spanish businessman Senor Maiz, who established a language school on the grounds.
References & Notes
- ↑ a b The National Archive: Convent of the Holy Child Jesus, Magdalen Road, St. Leonards-on-Sea, school diaries
- ↑ a b The Hastings and St. Leonards Society: The Convent of the Holy Child, St. Leonards on Sea – Thoughts on its future
- ↑ The Argus: Bid to save The Convent of the Holy Child in St. Leonards
- ↑ Historic England: CHAPEL TO THE FORMER CONVENT OF THE HOLY CHILD JESUS
- ↑ Elleray, D. R., Sussex Places of Worship: A Gazetteer of Buildings erected between c.1760 and c.1960 (2004)
- ↑ Hastings Chronicle: 1977 Mid-July