Calvert Memorial Methodist Church
|Calvert Memorial Methodist Church|
Calvert Memorial Methodist Church was named after the Rev. James Calvert and was inaugurated in 1881; the church being a tin chapel which had been erected in 1880 and opened on the 2nd of November. The borough council had agreed to the temporary structure for a maximum of ten years, so by 1889 discussions and fund-raising started in earnest to raise the estimated £2,500 required to build a permanent church on the site. At the time (July 1889), the church already had £900 already promised and should another £100 be raised, then the church authorities would give permission for the rebuilding. If the temporary structure remained beyond the ten year period, the church wuld be liable to a penalty of £100. Although the number of parishioners at a meeting convened on the 3rd of July to discuss the issue was small, the meeting concluded with sufficient funds being promised to take the funds over £1000 in order the church authorities could be approached.
References & Notes
- Hastings, Bexhill & Rye Methodist Circuit: Calvert Memorial Methodist Church, St Leonards, East Sussex, accessdate: 27 August 2020
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 6 July 1889 Pg. 0006