The square was named after a local family with Hastings links going back to the Armada. As late as the 1880s a Bossom lived nearby at 40½ All Saints Street (since demolished). The square was on the North side of East Bourne Street, and built at some point in the early 1800s, possibly 1830s or 1840s. The square was hemmed in by other buildings on all sides and was accessed through a narrow twitten between buildings in East Bourne Street. The square was destroyed in the 1930 Slum Clearances.
An idea as to how cramped some of the properties were may be gleaned from an advertisement in the Hastings & St. Leonards Observer dating to May 1879, which lists one of the properties as being for sale as a tenanted property with six tenants occupying the eleven rooms of the building.
References & Notes
- ↑ Leigh Kennedy via Historical Hastings Facebook
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 3 May 1879 Pg. 0004