|This page is a works in progress. Please check in with the last shown editor in the history prior to making any edits|
The St Helen's Mixed and Infants Schools opened on the 7th of January 1901, opposite the Cemetery on The Ridge. The building was purposely designed as a school by the architect Mr Arthur Wells and constructed by a firm from Kent. The building was constructed out of red bricks, featuring under-floor heating on the ground floor and occupied a site of approximately one acre in size. In terms of interior layout, there were two floors; the lower for infants and the upper for mixed pupils. One notable feature was a teacher's room on each floor that featured folding doors that could be thrown back to extend the central halls whenever the building was to be used for public meetings
The old Infants School at St Helen's provided the intake for the building after opening. In 1912 it was redeveloped as Hastings Secondary School for Girls, and became the Hastings High School for Girls in 1929. From 1940-43 the school was evacuated to Ware in Hertfordshire and the building was used as an ATC drill hall and a community feeding centre. The original school buildings were demolished in 1967, with new buildings adjacent becoming known as Helenswood A new classroom tower block was added in 1970, being opened by the MP Miss Janet E. Fookes.
The lower school moved to a new, purpose built school on the site of Maplehurst House in 1981
The school closed in 2019 and the buildings on the site of what was The Cleeve are to be demolished.