Church in the Wood
|Church in the Wood|
Church in the Wood, is known officially as St Leonard's Church. The church was originally known as St Rumbold's Church. It is an Anglican church founded in the 13th century with a list of known vicars dating back to 1344, the successor to an earlier 11th-century chapel. Restoration work around 1860 gave the Early English Gothic-style building its present appearance, but some medieval portions remain. A number of legends have been associated with the church, and its secluded situation has been praised by many writers including Charles Lamb. The church is a Grade II Listed building. The church bell is 14c.
Adjacent to the entrance to the church is the tomb of John Turner. He was born in St Clements parish and was a yeoman farmer in Hollington (possibly at Ashdown farm) for most of his adult life. He married a lady called 'Anne Laborn' in 1672 and he died in 1703. This is the oldest surviving grave stone/tomb in the graveyard.
Another is that of Sir Charles Montolieu Lamb (1785-1864), although the stone is truncated.
Removal to Beauport
In the mid-19th century, the rector (the Rev. Rush) proposed that due to the church having fallen into disrepair it should be removed to Sir Charles Lamb's home at Beauport to become a folly; this was opposed by Robert Deudney and the proposal subsequently rejected.
1933 Tower Renovation
Around 1933 the tower was found to be suffering from an infestation of Death Watch Beetle requiring all of the supporting woodwork to be replaced.
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 3 March 1883 Pg. 0003