Caves Road

From Historical Hastings Wiki
Caves Road
Other Names
Former name(s)Cliff Road

Was previously known as 'Cliff Road'[1] and renumbered in 1880.[2]

The cliff-face behind Caves Road, once had a cave known as St Leonards Caves which extended underground for some 300 feet with rooms branching off either side. The cliffs are particularly unstable and the exact location of this cave is now lost.

Reported Cliff Falls[edit]

12 May 1812 At approximately 3PM, several tons of rock fell behind Mr. Bray's beer stores. No injury was caused, or damage, except a stable door was knocked open. Falls of rock continued throughout the following days, although all minor in nature[3]


Name Street No From To
Caves Cottages
Caves Road Temperance Hall
Myrtle House 21


  1. Brett's Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chapt. VII
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 07 February 1880 pg. 7
  3. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 16 May 1874 pg. 5