Alexandra Park is Hastings' largest formal park 44 hectares (109 acres) stretching for 2.5 miles through the heart of the town. It consists of the lower formal gardens and the more wild northern wooded areas.
Alexandra Park received its first Green Flag Award in 2005 and continue to retain this status.
Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1001384)
Prior to being opened as a public space, the area supported a number of hop gardens
Alexandra Park opened under the name of St Andrew's Gardens in 1864 and has been expanded in as series of increments.
Robert Marnock Design
In 1877 renowned landscape gardener Robert Marnock began one of his last works, introducing plants and shrubs to the park on a budget of £250. Marnock had designed the layout for Dunorlan Park, Tunbridge Wells, and Sheffield Botanical Gardens as well as Warwick Castle Rose Garden and Peacock Garden. Unfortunately there are no surviving plans or drawings indicating the extent of Robert Marnock's work.
About two thirds of the lower park is still enclosed by iron railings which survive from Marnock's scheme in the 1870s.
Dedication and Renaming
In June 1882 the Prince and Princess of Wales dedicated (and renamed) the park to Alexandra Park
Storm Tunnel Project
In 1998, the first lawn was closed to the public, being used as the 'launch' point for Tunnel Boring Machines being used for the Southern Water Storm Drain project.