Page:Item 6 1854.pdf/63

From Historical Hastings
Revision as of 21:15, 14 September 2020 by RoyPenfold (talk | contribs) (→‎Proofread)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
This page has been proofread

The Infant Schools of St. Clement's and All Saints, on the 29th of February - a leap year date - presented a tea urn to the Countess of Waldegrave, as a testimonial for the great interest her ladyship had always taken in the schools. The Countess expressed her pleasure at this token of the children's gratitude, and promised to invite them to tea shortly, when the urn would be used. The promise was faithfully kept, the children being entertained at her Ladyship's house, and presented, in return with appropriate gifts of clothing, as a recognition of the children's expressed regard for her past exertions on their behalf.

Inquests and Particular Deaths

Frank French, a shoemaker, living at Castle terrace, having committed suicide by hanging, was the subject of a coroner's inquest, at which the evidence showed that he had been subject to fits and had afterwards complained of pains in the head; also that he had attempted to destroy himself on one or two previous occasions. Temporary insanity was the verdict. The deceased was about 62 years of age, and used to play on a violoncello that he himself made. He had two sons - Frederick and Stephen, who were members of Brett's Brass Band. The melancholy death of Mr. French occurred on Feb. 19th.

Thomas Quaife was also the subject of an inquest, which was held on the 14th of June. The deceased was a widower, about 60 years of age. He had been a brewer, but for 9 months had been without occupation. He had three sons. It was proved that his death was self-inflicted.

John Osborne, aged 22 years, met an accidental death on the 26th of June, while intending to bathe from one of Cobby's machines. He dived from the same into only three or four feet of water, forgetting that it required 12 feet for safety in such a leap. His head was heard to strike the ground by persons in the next machine. He was soon got out, in a completely helpless condition but sensible. There was a large wound in his head from which blood was flowing. He died the next day. He was a son of Mr. Thomas Osborne, carpenter and stationer, and had only returned home 3 weeks before from 3½ years service as a sailor in the East India merchant service.

George Stonham, a fisherman, 26 years of age, also died by his head coming in contact with the ground, but in quite a different manner. At midnight of June 14th, he fought several rounds, while the worse for dring, with fisherman Hide, and fell violently to the ground each time. He died from injury to his head a fortnight after.

Daniel Helm, a fishermn, aged 37, committed suicide by cutting his throat at the Crown Inn, He had been ill, and appeared strange. He was buried at All Saints, his comrades (German musicians) attended-