Hastings Mechanics’ Institution

From Historical Hastings
Revision as of 12:19, 12 July 2020 by RoyPenfold (talk | contribs) (RoyPenfold moved page Mechanics Institution to Hastings Mechanics’ Institution)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Hastings Mechanics’ Institution based at 39a High Street[1] was founded in 1834 by John Banks. He was involved with it for the rest of his life, on the committee, for a long period as secretary and also as president. He lectured on all manner of scientific subjects from chemistry to astronomy. “Without the least pretension to eloquence or finished rhetoric, he stands before his audience a plain-speaking man, thoroughly understanding his subject and telling his hearers in plain Saxon what he knows”.[2] The institution wound down its operations to the end of the 19th century, the purpose-built premises they had constructed in the High Street later became the Old Hastings Club in the 1920s, then later still, an auctioneer, then the Electric Palace cinema.[3]



  1. Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 79 Google Books
  2. Hastings and St. Leonards Observer: When smugglers plied their ‘free trade’ in Hastings - Hastings and St. Leonards Observer, accessdate: 2 December 2019
  3. Leigh Kennedy, Historical Hastings Facebook group