Church in the Wood

From Historical Hastings
Revision as of 20:46, 25 June 2020 by RoyPenfold (talk | contribs)
Church in the Wood

Church in the Wood, is known officially as St Leonard's Church. The church was originally known as St Rumbold's Church. It is an Anglican church founded in the 13th century with a list of known vicars dating back to 1344, the successor to an earlier 11th-century chapel. Restoration work around 1860 gave the Early English Gothic-style building its present appearance, but some medieval portions remain. A number of legends have been associated with the church, and its secluded situation has been praised by many writers including Charles Lamb. The church is a Grade II Listed building. The church bell is 14c.

Notable Graves

Adjacent to the entrance to the church is the tomb of John Turner. He was born in St Clements parish and was a yeoman farmer in Hollington (possibly at Ashdown farm) for most of his adult life. He married a lady called 'Anne Laborn' in 1672 and he died in 1703. This is the oldest surviving grave stone/tomb in the graveyard.

Another is that of Sir Charles Montolieu Lamb (1785-1864), although the stone is truncated.

1933 Tower Renovation

Around 1933 the tower was found to be suffering from an infestation of Death Watch Beetle requiring all of the supporting woodwork to be replaced.