Reference to a mill in the area, although possibly not this one, and its environs appear in a number of documents held at ESCC Archives (The Keep):- Few records exist of the watermill itself, although there is in the Collier and Milward archives reference to the area of this road being known as the 'Watermill Brook' with accounts dating to 1738, a conveyance dated to 30 Aug. 1769 of a mill (possibly not this one) which was originally a powder mill to "Edward Milward from Elias Sinnock of Ore, blacksmith, and his wife Elizabeth, late Elizabeth Thatcher, one of the devisees of John Bossom of Hastings, cordwainer".
This conveyance is one of a number appearing during the 18th Century. A number of leases also appear, one dated to 29 Sept 1813, described thus:-Edward Milward of Hastings, esq to Mark Godden of Ore, gardener - piece of land known as Watermill Brook (3a 1r 0p) Hastings St Andrew and Hastings St Mary in the Castle (NW: lands belonging to Mrs Sayer; NE: lane leading from the seaside to Ore; W and SE: other lands belonging to EM) Witness: John Tompsett"
References & Notes
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.202 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_MIL_3_16_12
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_MIL_3_16_17
- East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_HMU_3_1_583