St Luke's United Reformed Church

From Historical Hastings
St Luke's United Reformed Church

This church on Sedlescombe Road North was constructed with funds from Mr. Clement, of Hastings and Mr. Harris of Leicester. The need for such a chapel arose following the preaching of Mr. (later Dr.) Boyd in a room near to the Tivoli Hotel and, following the raising of £300, the architect Mr. Carpenter produced the initial plans for a Gothic style of chapel[1]. The church was opened for worship at a Sunday afternoon meeting on the 12th of July 1857.

The church was extended and improved twice; once around 1862[2] and again in 1865, when the tower and a spire were added[3].

The church suffered the loss of its spire following the Great Storm of 1987; the masonry largely falling into the gardens at the front of the church.

Images

References & Notes

  1. Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 6 Chap. 57
  2. Buckle, Alan G. (2003). An Independent Chapel: The Story of St Luke's in Silverhill 1853–2003. Hastings: Hastings Local History Group,
  3. Elleray, D. Robert (1979). Hastings: a Pictorial History. Chichester: Phillimore & Co. ISBN: 0-85033-324-5