St Leonards Gardens
St. Leonards Gardens sit behind the Royal Victoria Hotel on the seafront, and was formerly known as 'Victoria Gardens'. Originally laid out as a private garden for the Burton family, the gardens slowly fell into a state of disrepair. Following news that there were possibly plans to sell the gardens for building land, a public enquiry was held, the outcome of which was that the gardens were bought in 1879 by Hastings Borough Council for the sum of £9,000 (of which £2,000 was raised by public subscription).
References & Notes
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 21 October 1922 p4
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 13 September 1879 Pg. 0003