St Helen's Hospital
Was the Union Workhouse prior to becoming a hospital; one of which was during the First World War as No. 13 Canadian General Hospital during WW1, then 'Hastings Municipal Hospital' in 1930; then on the 27th of August 1948 following the creation of the NHS earlier in that year. The Workhouse operated in parallel to the hospital until the 1960s, when the workhouse system ceased to be. The buildings became redundant when the Conquest Hospital was constructed in 1992, the site has now been re-developed for housing, although the buildings on the east side of Frederick Road have retained and converted.
There used to be a tunnel under Frederick Road that connected both halves of the hospital, with one end of the tunnel being re-discovered during some re-modelling work took place on the property at the junction with Clifton Road.