The upper portions of St Helen's Road are some 50 years younger than the lower (towards the Town Centre). At the time of construction of the St. Leonards end of the road, this portion was known simply as the 'Trunk Road'.
St Helens Road bridge immediately after construction 17 Jan 1922
The road was finally linked up to Sedlescombe Road North by construction of a bridge over the Old Roar stream in 1921. Houses were built on the upper end of the road from around 1930.
References & Notes