Page:Item 6 1854.pdf/62

From Historical Hastings
This page has been proofread


planned to hold 800 worshippers and estimated to cost £3,500. It has since been considerably enlarged and improved; in fact, almost rebuilt.

The Tabernacle, which is a close neighbour of the Congregational Church in Cambridge road, held its second anniversary services on the 29th of July, when, between the services, about 100 persons sat down to dinner and tea, and a sum of nearly £29 was collected. The same chapel was registered for marriages on the 1st of April; not, it should be hoped, for couples to practically illustrate the familiar description of that particular day.

The Baptist Chapel in Wellington square, had for one of its first deacons, Mr. Edward Phillips, a bookseller of George street, and previously of Hill street. He afterward emigrated with his family, to America. He died, this year (1856) in the month of May, at the residence of his son, Bloomington, Illinois. He was much respected, and his age at death was said to be about 56 years. I was well acquainted with him, and believe him to have been a sone of Thankful and Hannah Phillips, who was baptised at All Saints in April, 1802. His age would therefore have been 54 years.

The St Clement's Church Sermon, preached on the 5th of October to make up the deficiency caused by the refusal of a church rate, realised nearly the sum required.

In the same Church, on the 21st of October, was held the triennial visitation by the Bishop of the diocese, prayers being read by the rector of St. Clements and the sermon preached by the rector of Ewhurst.

School Items

The St Marys Schools had a sermon preached for them on the 20th of April, which realised £46 7s. 7d.

Evening Schools for Fisher-folk were renewed on the 27th of October, to be held during the winter months. The arrangements were at the Fishermen's Club-room on Mondays and Fridays for all persons of 21 and upwards; for Women and Girls over 14, on Mondays and Wednesdays; for all youths between 14 and 21 at the Boys National School-room, on Tuesdays and Fridays. A payment of one-halfpenny per week was required of the lads as a guarantee of their intention to avail themselves of the opportunity of improvement.

School Sermons on Sunday, Oct. 26th, realised £40 for All Saints and St. Clemens, and £69 for the schools of St. Mary-in-the-Castle.

An Evening School was opened in connection with Fairlight Church, where about 30 young men, under and over 20 years of age were instructed by the rector (Rev. H. Stent), Mr. E. Pinson (Master of the Day School), and another person.