St. Leonards Assembly Rooms
|St. Leonards Assembly Rooms
Originally constructed as assembly rooms for the new town of St Leonards in 1829. In 1835, it is described by Ross as being 60 feet in length, with a billiard hall on the east side with rooms for playing cards on the other. In 1886 there is record of a contractor named Peter Jenkins, who had constructed many houses in St Leonards who bought what was the Assembly Rooms and installed in the basement a small swimming pool with a set of private baths set into the floor. These Victorian baths did not last long and came to an end in 1904.