William Diplock (1810-1866)
Coming to Hastings from his birth town of Brighton with his father around 1829, Diplock started work in what had been Powell’s library before taking over Barry’s in 1839. By 1867, he was listed as a "bookseller, stationer, music seller, library & reading room (in connection. with Mudie & Booth, London), at 38 Robertson Street.", remaining there until 1874. In addition to his work with the libraries and his well-known guides to the town, he was an active church member and upon moving to Silverhill became also the Manager and Treasurer of the Silverhill Board School
DEATH OF MR. WILLIAM DIPLOCK.
Our obituary this week contains the name of an old and respected inhabitant, Mr. William Diplock, formerly, and for many years, one of the leading tradesmen of the borough, whose death took plaoe at his residence, Adcroft Villa,, on the 11th inst. Mr. Diplock was born at Brighton on 23rd May, 1810, and came to Hastings with his father about the year 1829. He was first in charge of the business afterwards known as Powell's Library, opposite the Old Battery at the east end of the Marine-parade. In 1838 he removed to Barry's Library, which was rebuilt in 1839. He remained in business at Marine parade until 1860, when he built Carlisle House, Robertson-street where he carried on the business of bookseller and librarian, until 1874. At the latter date he gave up business and removed to Silverhill, where be resided till his death. He married in 1840 the eldest daughter of the late J.G. Langham Esq, and leaves widow, three sons, and two daughters. Although the deceased took no prominent part in the political or municipal life of the borough, it may be said that in his removal another link of old Hastings is lost. His public duties were chiefly confined to his connection with Congregational body in the town. He was a member of the church in the Croft from the time of his settling here, and he was elected deacon of the church 1853, when the Rev. G. Stewart entered upon the pastorate. He remained in office until 1867, when Mr. Stewart left. He was subsequently appointed deacon and trustee of the church in Robertson-street, resigning his office in or about the year 1883. Upon his removal to Silverhill, he became manager of the Board School there, and, as school treasurer, rendered valuable services to the educational work, being much esteemed by all with whom was connected. His last illness commenced in the autumn of 1882, and has taken the form a slow decay of mental and physical powers, which, it is thought, may possibly be traced past to the effect of a sunstroke he received in 1849. He passed peacefully away at the advanced age of 76, and his mortal remains were interred in the Borough Cemetery Wednesday.— The News
His wife, Eliza survived him by 14 years, passing away on the 22nd of November 1900.
References & Notes
- Diplock, William p.3, accessdate: 15 April 2020
- Diplock, William p.3: Diplock, William p.3, accessdate: 28 January 2020
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 20 March 1886 Pg. 0003