Talk:Main Page

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Images not added

Images from Hastings in the Front Line. Some near dupes from storm drain left out. Gasometer Construction

How to get all text example

http://wiki.historymap.info/api.php?action=parse&page=Judges&disableeditsection=1&prop=text&format=json

Images

http://wiki.historymap.info/api.php?action=parse&page=Judges&disableeditsection=1&prop=images&format=json

Semantic properties

See Rosslyn for semantic property use within template. Breeds Place also applies some of these techniques


Carousel Results

See [[Template:TestCarousel]] More suited to images however

Loading...

Genealogy

Genealogy templates are from https://familypedia.wikia.org/wiki/

Fairlight Background notes

The village is mentioned in record of 1220 as FARLEGH, since then, many changes have occurred in the spelling, e.g., in 1291 it was FARLEIGH; 1535, FARLEY; 1701, FAYRLIGHT; 1738, again FARLEY and in 1823 the spelling is recorded as FAIRLIGHT. There was a manor here before 1066, given by William the Conqueror to the Countess of EU (or OW), near Caen, France, her husband was the first Constable of Hastings Castle. In the 12th century the manor belonged to the Allard (or Alard) family; Stephen and Gervase Allard went to the Crusades, and effigies may be seen in Winchelsea Church; Gervase was Admiral of the Cinque ports, and was the first English man to be called ‘Admiral’.

The manor house formed the foundation of the present farmhouse – Stonelynk Farm. The residence known today as ‘Stonelynk Hall’ was originally the barn, built probably in the 14th century. About 1540 a Judge and Clerk attended the local assizes, held in the manor. A well provides the farmhouse with its own water supply. In the days of smuggling, contraband goods were landed at Fairlight, probably brought inland by an underground tunnel!

Marsham farm dates from 1290, built by Giles Fiennes. Waites Old Farm House (corner of Waites Lane & Meadow Way) is 16th century. Waites wood existed where Fairlight Village Hall and adjacent residences now stand.

Battery Hill: at the turn of the 20th century, a local gun battery is reputed to have practiced firing regularly from ‘The Mountain’. Fire was directed out to sea, this probably gives to the origin of the names: ‘Firehills’ and ‘Battery Hill’. Fairlight Place: built around 1550 at the head of Fairlight Glen, was visited by King Louis Phillipe and his Queen in 1849 after his escape from Paris.


Fairlight Hall, Martineau Lane, is imitation Tudor, built at the turn of the century, it is a private residence.

The present Parish Church of St Andrews was built in 1845 on the site of the former Church dating back to (approx) 1180. It is 535 feet above sea level. Built from locally quarried stone, the tower elevates to 82 feet from ground level. This is open to all during the summer months. The Silver Communion Cup and Paten cover date from 1697. A friend of Mendelssohn, Thomas Walmsley, a master of music and renowned organist, is buried in the Churchyard, also Richard D’Oyly Carte, producer of the Gilbert & Sullivan Operettas. It is a well know fact that the Church of St Andrews and the immediate area was purposely not bombed by the Germans during the last war, as this was a very distinctive Land Mark that guided their planes towards London and back home. It was mentioned on plans drawn up by the High Command in Germany as never to be touched, which have just been released!

Search by coordinates

In addition to just filtering on the coordinates, it is possible to incorporate further filtering options on the #ask line as per the Date<1850 parameter. Theoretically, it should be possible to filter by any semantic variables set within the pages.
The following can be incorporated into a template from where the relevant calls should be addressed. If however the absolute page title be known, it can be retrieved from the API as suggested above.


Subobjects

Property:AddressDetail‎ seems to do the trick. To view/retrieve for a given street (page), use the template {{features}} which will give the following result:

Name Street No From To


Editing People

When editing people, there is a series of special templates derived from [familypedia.wikia.org/ FamilyPedia] which assists in creating the relationships between people e.g. marriage/offspring.

The main template is that of {{Showfacts person}} and there is a fairly comprehensive 'how to' in its documentation Template:Showfacts person.

A fairly comprehensive example of its usage with multiple marriages can be found on the Vandeleur Benjamin Crake (1816-1894) page.

Forms

See http://wiki.historymap.info/Form:TestForm1 for example of form working correctly.

Maps

Loading map...

Another access point is via <mapframe height=600 width=600></mapframe>, although parameters need to be identified. The Kartographer extension uses MediaWiki:Kartographer.js to define parameters.

Retrieving data from a datatable

The extension page gives the following format for the WHERE clause: where="BNA_ID='1234'"

To retrieve a single value therefore we can use the following {{#dt2-get: table | column | where | default }}

  • The logical table defined with the {{tag|datatable2|open}} tag where the data should be taken from.
  • The column name defined with the {{tag|datatable2|open}} tag. The column field may be left blank, in which case data is cached for later usage with the [[#dt2-lastget|dt2-lastget]] parser function, but nothing is displayed.
  • The where clause that should select at most one record. If more then one record is found, an error message is displayed.
  • Optionally the default text to return if no data are found. It is expanded only if needed, so using a complex template here does not lead to performance issues if used for unexpected errors only.

{{#dt2-get: BNA_Periodicals|Title|BNA_ID='0001578'}} should give us the Illustrated London News

Image Hashing

A hashing 'bot' runs a similarity hash on all files. The property in which this is stored is ImageHash, which contains the hexadecimal has as per PHP ImageHash. Ultimately a plugin/search facility will be implemented to identify similar/identical images.

Geocoding

[[Has coordinates::{{#geocode: TN34 3LW}}]]

  1. a b c d Pettit, Leon. "The Pilot Field". Hastings Football History. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 30 May 1891
  3. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 19 June 1920
  4. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 18 September 19201
  5. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 1 May 19261
  6. British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 16 September 1933 Pg. 0013
  7. : Waterfall to Windmill by Alan Buckle Hastings Local History Group via Leon Pettit Historical Hastings Group