St Mary In The Castle
|This page is a works in progress. Please check in with the last shown editor in the history prior to making any edits|
The centrepiece of Pelham Crescent, St. Mary in the Castle was constructed circa 1828. The church features a white Ionic Portico in Pelham Crescent with crypts underneath and access also available from Pelham Place.
The church was subject of an Act Parliament which received royal assent on 2 May 1825, and was consecrated on 28 January 1828. The roof was substantially rebuilt in 1829 following the discovery of a defect during August of that year; the church reworked in the later C19, probably after 1884 when the parishioners took responsibility for the fabric.
Designed by Joseph Kaye, the church sits in a commanding position overlooking the sea, forming the centrepiece of Pelham Crescent, which is raised above Pelham Arcade and reached by a ramp at the western end. Being constructed of Stone and brick, cement-rendered, and lined as ashlar, stone dressings, it is set on a shallow plinth of three stone steps and over a crypt which extends southwards to the rear of Pelham Arcade. The façade is laid out as a double-depth tetrastyle Ionic portico, flanked by single entrance bays.
The church is semi-circular in shape with the upper level projecting over the rock face at the rear so that it is constructed of two concentric stone walls, an inner one at lower level, and an outer wall at gallery level, built into the rock. The interior of the church is laid out with a horseshoe gallery to the north overlooking a shallow rectangular three-bay sanctuary which is flanked by single bays which break forward to enclose lobbies which give access to the portico and gallery. Stairs, either side of the church, descend to a crypt, T-shaped on plan, which protrudes into the rear of the Arcade.
Foundation Stone & First Incumbent
Most of the original interior wood work was stripped out during the 1990s refurbishment, leaving the rear wall of the gallery as exposed stone. In the 1920s, a room to the east of the main church was adapted as a baptistery, complete with a stone-lined immersion font, while the spring was converted to a grotto to commemorate the centenary of the building.
At the same time as the Heaton, Butler and Bayne window was dedicated, two marble tablets inscribed with the names of the WW1 fallen was dedicated.
Repairs to Facade
In 1938, the timbers supporting the facade above the Corinthian columns was found to be rotten, necessitating the front of the church to be braced with scaffolding props and costing some £1,300 to repair.
Listed building status
In 1951, the building was listed at Grade II* Listed (Historic England listing 1353209)which was unfortunately followed by a period of decline. The church merged with Emmanuel Church in 1953 before being declared as redundant by the Church of England in 1970,and leased to The Assembly of God until 1978 before being sold by the Church Commissioners in 1982. The church then came close to being declared as a dangerous structure in 1986
Following a campaign by locals (Friends of St Mary in the Castle - FOSMIC) to save the building, Hastings Borough Council acquired the freehold to St Mary in the Castle and number 7 Pelham Crescent and in 1988 with support from English Heritage began restoration of the building. This was to cost circa £1.1 million.
The building re-opened in 1998 as an arts centre, featuring exhibitions by predominantly local artists and a performance/conference centre in the main body of the church.
Buckswood School Ownership
In 2012 the lease was put out to tender by the council, due in part to the costs of running the building proving unsustainable, and a proposal from Buckswood School in Guestling was approved by the council in December of that year. A charitable trust was established in 2013 and in June 2015 a ten year lease was signed to safeguard the future of the building as a centre for the arts.
There are reportedly issues with damp penetration, possibly related to the requirements due to it's change of use to a performing arts space for fire-seals on doors and many of the internal doors having to be closed for the same reason.
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 20
- Historic England
- An Interpretative Survey of Pelham Arcade and its Setting, Hastings, Sussex (1998) Morrice, R
- Osborne's Stranger's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 Pg. 14 Google Books On this wiki
- Historic Hastings (J. Manwaring Baines)
- Stained Glass Records website
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 26 March 1921 p1
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer - 23 July 1938 p6
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 03 September 1910 pg. 3
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer - 6 August 1949 p2
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer - 3 December 1938 p18
- Sussex Parish Churches
- St Mary in the Castle website