St Andrew's Bridge
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Carried the railway over Queens Road, giving a narrow tunnel until this was demolished over three days in 1898 to make way for the current iron railway bridge with fluted columns now in place. Planning for this had commenced in 1889, it being acknowledged that the narrow archway was stifling growth. Costs were estimated at a maximum of £7,000 and the corporation was to pay 6/7ths of the cost of this, capped to £6,000 . The bridge received a makeover on its centenery in 1998 and carries a brick imprinted with the 1898 construction date. In constructing the bridge, the railway track bed had to be raised a metre or two above the previous height in order the span could be put in place prior to demolishing the arch. This could explain the difference in level between the adjacent sidings and the current main-line track.
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 5 January 1889 Pg. 0006