Page:Item 5 1853.pdf/203

From Historical Hastings
This page has been proofread


Lecture-room on Oct. 9th. It was there stated that the Croft Chapel Sunday School was the first of its kind established in Hastings. There exists no documentary proof of this, and whether it or the Church Sunday School was first has been debated; but that the Croft School had not reached its Jubilee year in 1855 has been shewn by “The Postman” in Brett’s Reminiscences. The Croft Chapel was built in 1805, but it had no school till several years later.

For the Croft-Chapel Sunday School sermons were preached on Sunday, Oct. 7, by the Rev. George Stewart, and £8 collected. On the following Wednesday, the children had their annual treat.

For the Halton Schools, the Rev. J. Parkin preached a sermon on Sunday, Nov. 11th, and the sum collected was £13 15s. 2½d.

Other Collections.

As an instance of what may be done by voluntary effort, there was a sum of £37 12s. collected on the 24th of October at the anniversary services at the Tabernacle, on which occasion about 80 persons sat down to dinner and 100 to tea. During his 3½ years of labour as pastor in Hastings, the Rev C. Pavey had collected £1200 for building and other purposes connected with that place of worship. Last year’s collections amounted to £176 12s., in addition to £20 apportioned to the poor and four guineas for Bibles and the school.

The Gospel Propagation Society was benefitted by a collection of £16 17s. at a meeting on the 16th of October, notwithstanding that the attendance was small.

For the City Missions a meeting was held in the same Swan Assembly Room on the following day (Oct. 17th) and the sum realised was £7 14s. 3d. On this occasion also there was but a small attendance.

The Croft Chapel Debt. Strenuous efforts were being made at this time to discharge the £260 debt due to the representatives of the late Rev. William Davis, but with what result remains yet to be revealed.

The Christian Knowledge Society had a sermon preached on its behalf by the Rev. W. B. Churton on the 28th of July, which was on a Friday, and the sum collected was about £16.

A Special Relief Fund, so much needed to meet the distress which so greatly prevailed during the inclement weather in February, in the course of a few days reached a sum of over £100, and by the middle of the month had accumulated to about £220. The Rev. J. Wallis, in a sermon preached at St. Clements, stated that many of the poor in the borough were literally starving. The Relief Committee laboured assiduously to carry out their benevolent mission, and on the 14th of February they distributed at the Town Hall 200 gallons of bread. Two days later, a similar quantity of bread and 160 gallons of soup were distributed. Owing to the continued hard frost, the distress was still great, and the next distribution of relief consisted of 200 gallons of bread and 150 gallons of soup. On the 21st there were given out 350 gallons of bread and 150 gallons of soup; on the 23rd 300 gallons of the former and 150 gallons of the latter. On Feb. 26th, 28th and March 3rd, the total-